Thursday, 27 March 2014

Experience in the ICU

Me and my son were shown two jars in which Mr. Nayyar's excised oesophagus and part of stomach were stored.The contents of the jar were very big which instantly brought tears in my eyes.It was like a part of my body had been cut out.I felt his pain.Surgeons explained that the whole of oesophagus was excised and one third of the stomach was also cut to ensure that the surgical margins of the remaining pars were cancer free.Then the stomach was pulled up to the throat through the chest cavity and attached at the neck to reconstruct the food pipe.A Jejunostomy  tube was also surgically lodged in the stomach for feeding as the enteral feeding was contraindicated after his surgery.

6 days of stay in ICU was very tough for Mr. Nayyar as well as us. Attendants were not allowed in ICU except for an hour a day.My son and I would stay in the waiting room and we never left the place in these 6 days as any moment announcement could be made for a particular patient.We would be handed a list of medications daily and we would rush to the hospital pharmacy to fetch the medicines to avoid any delays.We had to carry a lot of money on us as for every test or medicine, payments had to be made first.

Prior to surgery
The scene inside ICU is very intense.The beeping monitors, acute looking patients with drips,drainages,ventillators and highly alert staff makes the ICU environment very nerve racking.Suddenly at 10 pm an announcement is made 'Mr. Nayyar wants to see his son.He knew Rahul was arriving that day and even in this condition of semi-consciousness he was concerned for his son.Mr. Nayyar was very protective of his children from the beginning.He would not allow his kids to walk to the shops alone or do any sleepovers with their friends.He would drive our daughters to their colleges and functions and be there half an hour earlier whenever he had to pick them up.The best part was that friends of our children would look forward to meeting their Nayyar uncle.They loved how warm and loving he was to them as well.

My son later confessed that sight of his father in ICU with tubes inserted everywhere was the most painful sight and it made him cry.Next morning, when we were allowed to see Mr. Nayyar for a short period he looked very depressed.That morning, the tea trolley had done the round in ICU and my husband had expected to have his cup of tea finally but was shocked when the nurse revealed to him that he was to be Nil-by-Mouth for a few days to allow the internal sutures to dry.He also had a look at himself and realized how major his surgery was.This had depressed him a lot.He did not want to see us, rather he did not want us to see him in such a helpless condition.The roles had reversed, he was used to being in control,the doer and the giver.


No comments:

Post a Comment